Sunday 6 November 2022

Living with 22q11.2 Deletion


Living with 22q11, short-term memory/processing issues. (Non-verbal learning disability). Going through ten years of family, being single, living by myself-being on disability (but have other stuff that helps somewhat) 


My friends and family that do support me the way I need it are my lifeline- as I have mentioned in previous posts. 


Also, the fact that I am VERY STUBBORN and HAVE A DAUGHTER. She is what keeps me moving.


Everything that’s hard is usually a communication thing, which is ten times better than ten years ago. How I process emotions and stress. I have to keep my stress levels low. 


Living with this condition is an uphill battle for me, only because I have scoliosis and what’s mentioned above, and I have a young face and heart and I get treated as a child, and like I don’t know anything. 


Certain things open the door for people to give their opinions, and advice when it isn’t being asked for and isn’t always needed. 


Learning issues (which are more like communication), I often struggle to figure this or that out depending on what it is. I need to be careful to keep myself out of certain environments because too much happening around me stresses me out. 


Depending on what it is. 


But I also love to learn new things and new skills, and this also keeps me going.  


The whole rigmarole of today’s expenses, living by myself in an amazing but expensive place, and the bills on top of it. Trying to get everything for ‘’entertaining’’ in the kitchen as well as other household needs in my rebuilding process - I desperately need more people (12 years by myself) including COVID. No room for travel. No room for a vehicle. As I keep saying. My support system and my daughter, I am grateful to have what I do. So glad that I came back to Red Deer, where I finally met someone local, and we are doing very well getting to know each other. 


I feel a little frazzled between bills and needing things personally but also household-wise because I have decluttered my whole life because of being in apartment settings. Thankfully, everyone is decluttering or purging which is helping me now…..  


I have an interesting time figuring out ‘’some’’ new things, but I do like problem-solving at least, and learning new skills. Sometimes you just need a second brain around, which is finally in the works for me and I am not doing everything ‘’mostly’’ by myself.  


Really, the key is having good support around. Staying close to the ones that do.


I had a habit of pushing things away before, and have learned now that I cannot do this unless it is a safety or self-care, or mental wellness issue. 


The key to survival, also, I believe, is not having anger or bitterness, or jealousy in the body/soul. I have had to work on this because of things and forever being thankful and grateful.  


Not taking anything, or ANYONE for granted.  


Where I am now, compared to ten years ago, I am proud of!


And I wouldn’t change anything for the world.  My daughter and where she is has helped my family function better, communicate better, and appreciate our differences more.  The pain is worth it sometimes. It changes us and makes everything better in the end. 


HOLD ON TO THE ONES YOU LOVE, ESPECIALLY IN THESE TIMES WITH OUR WORLD CHANGING. IF YOU CAN LIVE WITH OTHERS, DO SO. LIFE IS SO EXPENSIVE THESE DAYS. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

A Favourite Christmas Memory of Steven

My favorite memory of Steven was the day he "let go" and walked independently for the first time. It was Christmas Eve, 22 years a...